On our Blog, you will find financial planning tips, investment insights, and Company announcements. Here are the latest:
April 19, 2021 – Blog Post
Spectacular frauds like Madoff’s happen maybe once in a generation. But there’s a very real danger that you, too, will fall for appearances.
March 26, 2021 – Blog Post
The Midlands Business Journal featured our own Katerina Wiese, Vice President & CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM in a recent article, “Advisers Lend Retirement Investment Update.”
February 3, 2021 – Blog Post
America First has been named one of the “Top 9 Best Financial Advisors in Omaha for 2021-2022” by AdvisoryHQ, an unbiased third-party research firm.
January 19, 2021 – Blog Post
Tech stocks are higher, digital currencies like Bitcoin are jumping, and IPO’s are rocketing as generous company founders can’t wait to share their wealth with you.
January 14, 2021 – Newsletter
Well, the day has finally come: It’s now easy to make money in the market. All you have to do is buy what’s been going up. Then again, maybe it’s not as easy as it looks.
December 30, 2020 – Blog Post
Tesla is not a stock we own, but a look at recent news shows just how different our investment approach is from that of speculators and fans of indexing.
December 4, 2020 – Blog Post
The aim of a rational investment strategy is to build or preserve wealth. The advice on CNBC is anything but rational.
September 4, 2020 – Blog Post
An article in The Wall Street Journal points out that if history is any guide, an investor should buy the stocks being kicked out of the Dow and sell the ones being included. Why is this true?
August 28, 2020 – Blog Post
– Social Security has a substantial asset value that doesn’t show up on any account statement. Understanding this can have big implications for how you invest.
July 16, 2020 – Blog Post
– Here’s an example of info we came across that isn’t easily found online. Investors, entrepreneurs and the just-plain-curious may find it interesting.
July 1, 2020 – Blog Post
– New stocks have to pass our detailed test. See how we analyze a company, its management and stock price.
June 29, 2020 – Blog Post
– “Bottom line: Cash only matters when it matters. And when it matters, it really, really matters.”
June 28, 2020 – Blog Post
– These questions will help you get better insight when choosing a new financial planner or meeting with your current advisor.
June 9, 2020 – Blog Post
– Do negative interest rates make any sense? How did they come about? What do they mean for financial planning and the way you should invest?
May 21, 2020 – Blog Post
– Financial journalists focused on Buffett’s sale of airline stocks and his preference to hold cash rather than buy during the recent sell-off. We think there was lot more for investors to learn.
April 16, 2020 – Blog Post
– Is the board of Berkshire Hathaway doing a bad job for shareholders? At least two firms that advise pension plans and other big investors say yes.
March 12, 2020 – Blog Post
– Sharp declines in the stock market have prompted a few calls from clients. Not nearly as many as you might expect, actually. That said, what are we thinking?
March 11, 2020 – Blog Post
– If you are compelled to sell right now, a stock is only worth the current quote. At other times, it’s up to you to decide whether to take advantage of prices that are being bid.
Updated February 20, 2020 – Blog Post
– A rule of thumb known as Price’s Law can help explain why some companies fail. It reminds us how important it is to understand the nature of the businesses in which we invest.
February 4, 2020 – Blog Post
– We’re pleased to be able to offer investment management clients in Omaha the expertise of two CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals: Matt Holloway and Katerina Wiese.
January 16, 2020 – Blog Post
– What do financial planning, Marie Kondo and eavesdropping in Las Vegas have in common? They’re all featured in this new edition of our Viewpoint newsletter.
January 2, 2020 – Blog Post
– Will your financial advisor in Omaha be a “Big Producer” or a Craftsman?
June 19, 2019 – Blog Post
– For the fourth year in a row, we have been named one of the top financial advisors in Omaha by AdvisoryHQ, an unbiased third-party research organization.
March 12, 2019 – Blog Post
– Asking the right question can save billions. Don’t expect Wall Street to jeopardize their fees by asking it.
November 5, 2018 – Blog Post
– Buying stocks in order to get dividend yield can be dangerous. Here’s why.
May 22, 2018 – Blog Post
– We weren’t one of the hotels, restaurants or retailers that were helped by the latest Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting in Omaha. Still, we did benefit.
March 15, 2018 – Blog Post
– Consensus opinion is worth following in many trades, but it often fails in investing.
January 4, 2018 – Blog Post
-Is it a coincidence that the new movie about P.T. Barnum, inventor of the three-ring circus, has opened at a time when the trading public is crazy for Bitcoin and other crypto-curiosities?
– No, we aren’t going to sell you anything. Remember, we aren’t brokers. Knowing your financial situation helps us to invest with your best interests in mind
April 13, 2016 – Blog Post
– Required Minimum Distributions or “RMDs” can seem a confusing topic. Ads on the subject seem designed to scare readers into believing that a maze of penalties and tax blunders awaits those who enter into the intimidating world of RMDs. In this article, Eric answers some frequently asked questions and notes that in most instances, RMDs are not a big, bad problem.
January 25, 2016 – Blog Post
– The beginning of 2016 has seen a sharp decline in global stock markets. Most headlines point to economic weakness in China and a plunge in oil prices to explain the fall. Experts sound pessimistic. Investors are concerned. Should they be invested in stocks? Should they hold more cash? Let’s look at how we make buy and sell decisions as markets fluctuate.
July 7, 2015 – Blog Post
It’s worthwhile to pause and ask some questions about your needs, your taxes, and your investment options in light of the differences between your 401(k) and an IRA.